Saturday, February 21, 2009

GPP Crusade 28: Portion Control Part 5

Here's another installment of my portion controlled shape, circles. This first image is a large piece of waxed paper that I used to blot paint from the surface of my painting several times. The last blotting was when I used gesso to stamp circles on the canvas. I think I used a cardboard tube to make the circles. The paint was rather juicy, so I blotted the surface with the waxed paper. When I lifted it up, I was happy with both surfaces. I set the waxed paper aside. I'd like to use it in a collage, but I'm not sure I can successfully adhere it since it IS waxed paper. If anyone has a tip on this, please leave a comment. BTW - this blotting was taken from one of the layers of the painted canvas board I showed you in my last post.

This is a journal page I started last Saturday. I lightly drew a circle, then I wrote the words, "Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, today and forever" around the circle. I was in the middle of a Bible study where I came across that verse. I thought it was perfect for a circle. I've added paint to the paper different times this week. You can see that the writing is pretty much gone. I may or may not add more paint. I might journal on it or not.
In my last post I showed how I played with a color palette for my latest painting. Here are a couple more examples. I was using up the last dabs of paint on the palette so it wouldn't go to waste. If I use my stay wet palette, I can save paint for several days. However, I have a different color scheme on in right now, so it's not available. I'm really getting excited about the possibilities all my circle play will give me for digital manipulations. By avoiding journaling (at least at this stage), I've got images that I can explore further with Photoshop Elements. Now that's another crusade for another day.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this set of circle plays. The wax paper one brings to mind rings - I see engagement rings, key rings, etc, in it. Your color palette play - the one with more reds to the upper left - looks like a colorful hurricane from a bird's eye view or a galaxy. You may be more abstract than you thought! It is fun to see what your play and 'work' are producing. Chickie Sis

michelle ward said...

oooh, that wax paper scrap is fab! definitely scan it or color copy it to use as backgrounds, real or digital, then stitch it or staple it onto a page. more terrific stuff here regina, thanks so much for sharing your process with the team.

jgr said...

These are wonderful! I love the verse too and the way you incorporated it into the design.

Laura said...

What fun! Loved seeing your circle play. I love using them in my art too, sooo many ways to work with them and yes they are the perfect shape for your words.

Leah said...

oo, these are gorgeous! and i just love all the blues.

Anonymous said...

Like Michelle, I was going to suggest scanning the wax paper. You can also just photograph it, then print it off on your printer, especially if you have the pigment based inks. That way, you can use it as often as you want; even change the colors. There's great energy in these pieces.

Anonymous said...

I love what you've done here for Crusade 28, Regina. Lots of depth, richness and texture. The circles on the yellow page, as Michelle would say, make me swoon. They're delectable!

I use waxed paper all the time to protect surfaces, protect pages and generally come between surfaces and paint. I love the randomness of the application and the fact that you get different effects on each side due to its transparency. Then I rip or cut it up and glue it into my work just like any other paper. I've never had a problem with it sticking using glue sticks or medium. And it looks amazing on a white page.

By the way -- thanks for dropping by my blog with your kind comments.

Apple said...

Love your work!!!