Saturday, February 14, 2009

GPP Crusade 28: Portion Control Part 3

After warming up with the pages in my last post, I went very abstract with my circles. The paper was painted with an uneven mix of yellow. Next I used an incomplete cardstock circle as a mask. Using a stipple brush, I rubbed paint onto the surface starting on the circle mask and moving outward. Using the corrugated insulation paper from a cup of gourmet coffee, I punched circles. Paint was applied thinly and I used them as stamps. I also painted onto a round makeup sponge and used it to stamp more layers of color. I used the circle template as a stencil just a tiny bit, but turned it over and pressed the dabs of paint around the edge of the circle onto the paper for more texture. I just kept building layers of color until I was satisfied with the composition.
I'm looking at this image two days later thinking I could have given it more punch. But the photograph is a bit flat compared to the reality. And I can always do more and go further next time. Right? Right! Some of you would have journaled in such a lovely fashion over this. I can image it. I just have a horrible time doing it myself. It's such a luxury to be able to play with words in PS Elements. Well, time to get something done around here. See you later.

14 comments:

michelle ward said...

Regina - fantastic! Love the coffee-cup-insulator stamp, very clever. Hey, don't resist journaling in the circle....why not write or type on scrap paper and then punch with your circle and layer onto the page? I do that all the time when I'm not sure I want to 'journal'. You can place wherever you want, and even cover up part of it with another circle :) Thanks for sharing!!

Anonymous said...

The touch of purple round the big circle really pops. I think the page looks great.

Julie Bagamary said...

WOW - I really like the circles!

jgr said...

Regina,
These are amazing!!! I love the corrugated insert as a stamp-woohoo. Yes, journal away - although I have the same hesitation about writing on top of designs.

Thanks for sharing, you have inspired me!

--Jane

Susan Tuttle said...

the layered circle effect is so cool!

happy heart day!

xo

Anonymous said...

Hi Regina
this looks so wonderfull!! Those circles and color combo make it together beautifull. Can imagine that writing on it does not appeal to you... (have that problem myself too, beacause i have an awfull handwriting, so Michelle, thanks for the tip!)
Hedwig

Steve Emery said...

Mmm-hmm! I like the composition - the way the small and large, colored and lined all work together. I especially like the way the shapes are allowed to emerge and get lost in each other. That works very well.

And I like the uneven parallel lines in used to make the circles. The unevenness makes them look natural, real, authentic somehow.

Leah said...

great textures!!! yum!

Andrea Rooks said...

Lovely! Your color choices are vibrant and enticing. I love the textures, too!

Julie said...

Regina, this looks great. I love the colours and the use of the circles and homemade stamp. Just great!

Anonymous said...

Great pages and I love all the tools you used! I am inspired! Your jewelry is wonderful!

Judy said...

Regina

You asked if I'd had problems with the security envelopes buckling when used as a substrate in a collage. I glue them down pretty tight and dry them under weight before I gesso over them so no I haven't had any problems

Thanks for visiting my work.

Judy

iHanna said...

I really like both this post and the other one on the crusade (oh the pink flowers!) and I think you did the right thing, this page is art in itself, it does not need journaling! Thanks for sharing both the tools and the pages!

Mescrap said...

The page turned out so energetic !
Love the strong colour combi.