Tuesday, July 28, 2009

GPP Crusade No. 32 - Knock Yourself Off


The above is my latest attempt at melding my scanned artwork with Photoshop Elements text and editing. I was inspired by the GPP Street Team's latest challenge. Read on for more info-

In an earlier GPP Crusade, I played with circles. Lots & lots of circles.
The following is acylic paint on rice paper. I like it very much, but it needs to be with something.
This is a page from my visual journal from January 2009. I used permanent marker and watercolors on watercolor paper. One of my goals is to improve my faces.
Last week I sketched this face. (Both were drawn from my imagination.) After roughing her in with graphite on watercolor paper, I inked her face with a Pitt Pen. Next I added color using Caran d'Ache Neocolor II (watersoluble crayons) which were applied using a water reservoir brush. This is such a neat procedure that I paint while sitting in my recliner in front of the TV.
I can see that I'm making progress with faces. But won't it be fun to keep working on them?
To challenge myself more, I decided to digitally layer the portrait with the circles page. I learned a few new tricks in PS Elements as I worked through the process. I'd like to revisit more of my simple pages to see what I can do with them. Now that Michelle has extended the deadline for this challenge, I may try to work on new ideas that have formed.
I chose the Scripture verse because it was part of a passage read at the funeral of a dear friend last week. I've been pondering it much since then. Our friend lived a long and full life. So many lives were touched in a wonderful way because of her. She had marked this passage in her Bible and she truly was a wise woman.
I'm blessed to have known her.






13 comments:

michelle ward said...

regina - cool interpretation of the challenge! thanks for coming to play on the crusade. the two faces and then the layerd composition - fun to see how you took two pieces and meshed them digitally. i think PS gives us the chance to try things out before attempting in paper. can't wait to see what you do next :)

Anonymous said...

Wow what a great job you did on this crusade! I love the digital part of this! AWESOME job on faces!

Beverley Baird said...

Loving your portraits!
I haven't tried photoshop yet - looks like a pretty awesome tool.

Fiona said...

Great piece - they look so well together.

Melisa said...

I really like the way this turned out, with the digitally added background. Great verse, too.

Laura said...

Such sweet faces Regina, I think you're doing great!! Love the Psalm you added, what a wonderful tribute to your dear friend :>

Off to check out that Crusade - it's been ages since I joined in on one!

inge said...

Hello Regina,

I remember the circles ! Your faces are already very nice and I like the merge of the face and the circles in photoshop ! I'm a photoshop addict too and love to learn more and more.
It's fun to create something in photoshop starting with something you made earlier in real.

well done !
greetings from Belgium
Inge

Darlene said...

Love your portraits - Very Pretty and Great work!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh now that *is* clever. I had to go back and look at the top picture and identify all the elements you had merged into one. Love the circles at the top, and remember when you first did them.

Sara said...

Sweet, sweet portraits that you make. I am tech challenged so I haven't gotten into digital stuff.... but I am glad that you are doing so and you are so GREAT at it!

I enjoy seeing your artwork!

Leah said...

You did such a great job with the layering!!

Susan Tuttle said...

excellent merging of text and imagery Regina!:)

happy weekend!

jgr said...

Regina,
I love your faces! And mixing the circles and portrait-brilliant.