Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Bird of Paradise WIP


This is a painting I started nearly 2 years ago just a couple weeks after my Dad passed away. Instead of wallowing in my grief, I went to my art table and started this painting based on a photo & study I had done earlier that year. I had just started working in acrylic that fall and was making the adjustments of transitioning from traditional watercolor.

The reference photo had a very busy background and I didn't know what to do next. So I just painted it white and have had it on display at home ever since. I'd like to complete some unfinished works. I think it will help me move on with new ideas that are brewing.

The AEDM challenge spurred me on to make progress on this painting. Tonight I played with a photo of the painting in Photoshop Elements. I used the magic wand tool to select background area and fill it with different colors. I eventually came up with some layer filters to create the image I'm posting. I think I'll attempt to paint a background based on this.


Or I could play some more and come up with another plan. This is the first time I've worked on a painting like this. I learned a few things tonight. And no paint was wasted in the process.

Thanks to Leah for leading the AEDM challenge.

No comments: