Tuesday, December 7, 2010

GPP Street Team Crusade No. 46: What's Your Hang-Up?

Previous GPP Crusade art framed and hung with related art.
 The final challenge presented by Michelle Ward for 2010 is to frame and hang some of our own art.  I have framed many of my art pieces, but many are not hanging on my own walls.  Thankfully, some are at the I Scallon Gallery in Ackley, Iowa and waiting for new homes.

Earlier this year, I created a page for this challenge.  I had originally intended to add the page to a journal I will bind with the year's challenges, but liked it so much that I put it under glass on black matting in a frameless frame.  Then I set it aside not creating a place to hang it.  I came across the art again shortly before Michelle put out this Crusade challenge.  I was already thinking of putting a narrow black frame around it and followed through with the thought.  I liked that better.  Now I just had to figure out where to hang it.

I decided to move a calendar and remove a wall quilt that had been hanging beside our lower staircase for several years.  It's an awkward space that gets a lot of traffic.  But I forged ahead...

A grouping of related colors and inspirations made sense to me.  As I wrote in the earlier post, I had been influence by Matisse to use black with the vivid colors I had laid down on my paper.  A framed postcard of his art is in the grouping.  Cezanne had influenced Matisse.  A postcard of that art is also in the group.  A print by Kandinsky that complements my color scheme and art sensibilities was added.
The silhouette painting on the far right is a watercolor that I painted several years ago and it had been in a solo position on a small wall.  It added balance to my grouping and helped to fill the space.

This was a good challenge for me.  It was good to put inspiration and results together.  I ended up calling my painting "XO Matisse."

8 comments:

Kari Desi said...

Regina, I love your painting and the grouping is just perfect! Thanks also for the background on the pieces. Very cool!

michelle ward said...

Regina - how cool to have your work hanging in a gallery. woohoo!! Love this piece you have framed and hung at home. You know I adore your xo, and it looks so fab on the wall in that frame. It looks awesome with your earlier work and other faves. Bravo girl! Thanks for sharing with the team.

Sara said...

Very cool Regina. You selected a terrific name for your painting. I am looking forward to viewing your artwork up close and personal...maybe someday very soon!

jgr said...

Regina, your art looks even more awesome hanging in a gallery!!

Anonymous said...

XO to you, Chickie Sis! :)

goudenregen said...

Your work looks great, framed and all.

Anonymous said...

That is a great grouping of your art.

Jennifer Noble said...

Great display. Love it, love it!