Sunday, December 19, 2010

Octagon's 43rd Annual National Exhibit


Oh, The Wonderful Cross I
This past week I received the happy news that the above painting has been juried into an upcoming national art exhibit at the Octagon Center for the Arts in Ames.  I've been submitting entries the past few years, and this is my first acceptance.  Care to join me in doing the happy dance?

Oh, The Wonderful Cross II

To the left is another painting I submitted that won't be in the exhibit.
Both acrylic paintings have a lot of texture.  They started with layers of heavy gel medium that I incised to create texture. I mixed the paint into heavy gloss gel and applied it to the canvas with palette knifes.  I enjoyed the process very much.

The title of the paintings comes from a beautiful worship song that I sing with my church's praise band.
These words are from the chorus:

Oh the wonderful Cross, oh the wonderful Cross
Bids me come and die and find that I may truly live
Oh the wonderful Cross, oh the wonderful Cross
All who gather here by grace, draw near and bless Your name
 
 
The 43rd National Clay, Fiber, Paper, Glass, Metal, Wood Exhibition will be on display January 28 – April 10, 2011.  The opening reception will be held on Friday, January 28, 2011 from 5:30-7:30 p.m. 

4 comments:

jgr said...

Hi Regina,
Big CONGRATS to you!! and I love those texture cross paintings - Gorgeous!! Well - we can do the 'Happy Dance' together, my friend! it's positive energy. Merry Christmas to you and your family-
and a Happy and ARTful year in 2011!

Susan said...

Beautiful! Congratulations!

Mona said...

Congratulations! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

I tip my hat to you, Chickie Sis!!!