Friday, June 26, 2009

Make It Your Own - GPP Crusade No. 31


I'm finally back to painting after a long break due to a full schedule. One of my first projects was to paint this small piece for my brother and his bride. I promised them a larger painting as their wedding gift. Now that I've seen their new home, I have some ideas of what to paint.
I haven't been checking out all my favorite blogs as much as usual either. I think it was good to have this break and start back to painting with less influence in my head from other artists. When I decided to make this little painting, I flipped through my visual journal for inspiration. I could really "make it my own" which is the theme for the current Green Pepper Press Crusade.

I've learned a lot from my fellow crusaders and other artists, and they have influenced my art. Through my visual journal and other art play, I discovered my love for circles and abstraction. I have learned the richness and depth that come from adding many layers. Michelle Ward has generously tutored the GPP Crusaders to take our art to new levels.

"Cherish" is mixed media on watercolor paper. I started by writing a portion of I Corinthians 13. The graphite writing is all concealed under the layers of paint, but it set the mood for the piece. I alternated dry brushing, stenciling, stamping, mono printing, etc. to build the color and depth I was looking for. I used water soluble graphite for accents. Cherish came from a page of scrapbook embellishments. The finished artwork went into a 5 x 5 inch frame.

It was a joy to be playing with paint again. I've been working on small canvases in preparation of the Linn Creek Art Fest next month. I hope to post pics very soon.

7 comments:

michelle ward said...

Regina - thanks for sharing your work with us, and for telling me the story of synchronicity with the words. How great to find time to paint again, and to get inspired by your own journal to make this. Congrats to the bride and groom!

Janets Planet said...

I really like the idea of writing underneath a painting. Yours has turned out quite nice.

Kelly Warren said...

Regian this is beautiful! What a wonderful wedding gift. So glad you are back to painting again.

Leah said...

Hooray for painting again! This piece will make such a lovely gift!

Andrea Rooks said...

Hurray for creating again! Your painting is rich and lovely, and I'm sure your brother will treasure it...

I've also recently returned to crafting after a bit of a break. I've been pretty focused on nesting and getting ready for Baby No. 2 to arrive. We've still got two weeks until the due date, and now that all my nesting projects are finished, I've been crafting again. I hope to get things organized to start Natalie's scrapbook (finally). We'll see what New Baby says about that!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely gift - may they enjoy many, many years of happiness. I'm pleased painting again bought you joy. Thanks for sharing with us.

Unknown said...

Now that you mentioned it I have also learned and have been influenced by all the GreenPepperPress artists!