Monday, March 10, 2008

Illustration Friday - Garden


Oh my! When I saw this week's topic is Garden, I was so happy. I have SO many garden pictures. I have a fairly large garden that is nearly full of perennials. We also have several smaller flower beds around our property. They are all buried under snow, but that should be gone very soon. A lot of ideas came to mind for IF, but nothing that I could do justice to this week. Yesterday I played with watercolors on Ampersand textured clay board, but I'm not sure it will see the light of this blog. I REALLY like the clay board. I'll have to watch for good sales on it so I can stock up.
I'm posting a painting I completed about a year ago. I used Liquitex heavy body acrylics on Crescent illustration board that I prepared with clear gesso. Clear gesso gives a tooth to the surface that I really like (ever get licked by cat?). It does cause brushes to wear more than if you painted on a smooth surface.
I used a reference photo I took at Reiman Gardens in Ames, Iowa. Cannas excite me, especially when they are planted in mass like they are done at Reiman Gardens. The rich colors, the textures..... While I was working on this, I would get so caught up with painting that I would get breathless.
This was my most ambitious acrylic painting at that point and I was very happy with the results.
I considered offering this painting for sale, but I can't part with it. I would like to get prints made and need to work out the details to accomplish that. Convo me if you are interested. Thanks for stopping by.

6 comments:

Hi! said...

Beautiful colors! I would have a hard time selling it also.

Cathy said...

As Karen says, beautiful colours!
It's a lovely sumptuous design too!

Bonnie / Graybonnie said...

Very cool tropical creation!

Fannie said...

Ooooh, this is beautiful, Regina!

Regina said...

Thank you so VERY much!

Anonymous said...

Hello Regina ! Sorry to be late to comment ... This is a beautiful piece, I like the richness of color !