Friday, July 22, 2011

Summer Treats Palette - GPP Crusade No. 53

Virtual color palette extracted from scanned paint reference journal.
 A little scanning, Photoshop Elements, and imagination came together to come up with my Summer Treats Palette.  This month's challenge from the Green Pepper Street Team was the motivation to take a new look at my paint reference journal.  I use spiral bound watercolor paper tablets to develop palettes for many of my paintings.  I like to use a limited number of paints from the tube and develop a range of shades and tints so my paints will have unity.  This is one example of how I may proceed.
Scanned paint reference journal page.
These are smears of acrylic paint - Liquitex and Golden brands - that were applied to the page with palette knives.  Some colors are pure from the tube and others are blends.  I also added titanium white to some of the blends.  I write notes around the smears to help me recreate the colors.

I developed this palette last year while planning a painting for Unforgettable Art.  I used much of this palette for paintings of purple coneflowers.  Sadly, one of the paints is no longer available, so I'll need to do another version of this palette to come up with a good compromise.  Sounds like fun to me!

Be sure to visit the GPP Street Team blog to see how Michelle Ward prompted us for the challenge.  Maybe you'll be inspired to join in.  Even if you don't blog yourself, try this.  It was lots of fun.

12 comments:

michelle ward said...

Regina - love these! Super cool how you isolated each color into a square and thought about names that would fit a Summer Treat collection. Clever and drool-worthy. (Have a desire for root beer float now!) I love seeing the page as a whole too - evidence of an artist's hand at work, and some work-in-progress finding the right hue. Fabulous!!! Thanks for sharing with the team, and for the motivational nudge to get others to try it. Fun, right? xo

Amanda said...

I would like a popsicle in each color please.

Anonymous said...

What stunning colours! I love the way you have displayed them - so tidy (I'm messy in the extreme...)
I think Orange Crush is just glorious.

OhSuz said...

Love your color creations & the names you chose for them are yummy! Summer treats, indeed!

Michelle said...

Beautiful colours! You have come up with fantastic names. Thanks for sharing them with us!

iHanna said...

Is this where I order my ice cream? Drooling over your colour names... :-)

Cruise on girl!

goudenregen said...

Your colors certainly stimulate my tastebuds. Love it

lena-dailyscrap said...

Great experiment - love the names given!

Martina said...

Such a pretty palette - and gorgeous names for the colors! Am your new follower and a fellow artist - come visit me too?

Mona said...

Nice summer palette. And all so organized. If only I could be as organized (sigh) :)

jgr said...

Oh this is beautiful!! You have turned color swatches into an artpiece! Lovely.

Theresa Plas said...

What a yummy palette! Wonderful vibrant choices!