Monday, June 2, 2008

Home Improvements Disrupt Artist


If you have wondered why I haven't been posting as frequently, this picture is a clue as to why. Our 24 year old house needs new siding and windows! Hubby (such a happy guy) has been doing most of the work, and I do what I can. (I am a skilled clean-up artist, stray nail gatherer, and 3rd hand.) So far he has stripped the old siding and wrapped the house in Tyvek. We replaced window number 4 out of 7 tonight. Between rainy weather and work, it's been a challenge to stay on schedule.
This is our dining room, but it functions as my art studio. I had hoped to complete my latest painting/collage before we got to this point, but it's still in pieces on my drafting table (the corner of which is shown in the lower left corner of photo). Argh! The rest of the week is supposed to be rainy, so maybe I can get it done before the Art Walk in Ames this Friday, June 6th.

The Octagon Art Center organizes the Art Walk the 1st Friday of June each year. The merchants of downtown Ames host artists in their businesses from 5 - 9. The public is invited to view art, enjoy live music and refreshments. I will be exhibiting with my painting group, Artists of the Heart, at Chocolaterie Stam, a haven of European confections. Friday night is also the opening reception for the bi-annual Community of Artist exhibit where I will have a colored pencil work on display through July 27th at the Octagon Center in Ames.

As if this wasn't enough, I just learned that there will be an open house in Story City at Swinging Bridge Studio where I have paintings, jewelry and painted hand bags for sale. This is also being held on Friday evening from 5-7 to coincide with Story City's annual Scandinavian Days festival.

If you live in the area, check out these fun events. Maybe I'll see you at one of them.

(By the way - I found the fun smiley clip art at designstop.com.)


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Art Walk sounds like great fun. Do you have your Artist of the Heart featured anywhere that we can view them online?

At least your windows are breezy before the intense summer heat, eh? :)
amanda

Fannie said...

Wrapped the house in tyvek?!?! Ooohhh, keep some for making art. Ha, ha!

What colored pencil work will you have on display? Nice, Regina. Good for you! You have several art exhibits going on, I see. Wonderful! Enjoy! Wish I was in the area. I would definitely join you.

Regina said...

Amanda- Artists of the Heart doesn't have a website or other web presence. I'm the only one in our group who has a website or blog. Having the house open is not good right now. The mosquito population is about to explode with all the standing water we have in the area.
Fannie - the piece that was accepted in the show is my purple coneflowers on black MiTients paper. Here's the original post: http://rgrdesigns.blogspot.com/2008/02/coneflowers-colored-pencil-on-black.html

Thanks for your comments. Regina