Thursday, April 24, 2008

Illustration Friday - Primitive


Today while reading Fannie's fabulous blog, Imagine Create Inspire, I was reminded of this ACEO I created that fits the IF theme Primitive. The first thought that came to mind for the word Primitive was of naive art created by untrained artists. Then I remembered the art created by The Quiltmakers of Ghee's Bend. In 2003, they were featured on PBS, which is where I first learned of these artists.

Last year I was introduced to ATC's. (Artist Trading Cards) They are 2.5 x 3.5 inches, which is the same as any regular trading card. When they are made for sale, they are called ACEO's. (Art Cards, Editions and Originals)

This card was made using gesso, Liquitex paints, and colored pencil on paper. When I realized my abstract marks looked like a primitive house, I added the canceled postage stamp using acrylic matte medium. It was a nice bit of serendipity to have painted with the same pink as one of the fabrics in the quilt.

You may contact me for purchasing information.

2 comments:

Leah said...

don't you love serendipity in art! i've recently done some atc's and they're great fun. love the colors in this piece!

Regina said...

Leah-thanks.
The color scheme comes from a big WIP that has been set aside since last summer. I like to use up the last bits of color from my palette on found papers that I can later use for collage or ATC's.