Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Coneflowers - Colored Pencil on Black Paper

Yesterday I started this drawing of coneflowers on black paper that I based on a photograph from my garden. I began the under drawing using a white Col-erase pencil. Once established, I added more white with the Prismacolor pencil which is a brighter white and covers the textured paper better. Next I added color with Prismacolor pencils, building layers of color. About this photo - the actual work is not as bright as it shows up on the computer.

I'm still not feeling my best, so colored pencil is a good medium to work in. I can sit on the couch, and it doesn't take a lot of energy like painting does. Sometimes when I paint, I get so caught up in it that I almost get breathless!

2 comments:

Bonnie / Graybonnie said...

Coneflowers are a favorite of mine. Really appreciate the how to information.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! I have always loved these flowers...one of my favorites. I envy you your touch with colored pencils; I use them, but not nearly so effectively.