Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Little Signs of Autumn

Never mind that temperatures are still in the 80's and 90's, the first signs of Autumn are out there. If you have allergies or hay fever, all you have to do is breathe to know the season.
What struck me was observing the sudden touches of golden yellow in the lush green soy bean fields. Now I know that every day the visual palette will change until the soy bean plants are shades of tan, brown and russett. Then comes the harvest. I know it's inevitable. "There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under heaven- A time to give birth and a time to die; A time to plant, and a time to uproot what is planted." Ecclesiastes 3:1-2
This is the imagery that helped me last November when Dad lay in a hospital bed, gravely ill. He was a farmer and his body showed all the signs that "harvest" was near. It helped me let go, Dad's time with us was nearly over. God was calling him Home. Now, when the seasons are changing, I'm thinking of Dad's last days in the hospital with my family.
I've been reminded that Dad influenced my interest and appreciation of nature. He shared his love for God and His creation with his children. Those are gifts I am very grateful for.

Today's pic is a group of pears I shot around this time last year. They're another sign of the changing seasons. One of these days they will be the subject of at least one painting.

No comments: