Monday, April 30, 2012

GPP Crusade 61 - Restraining Order

This is a simple journal page for the last GPP Street Team Crusade - Restraining Order.  The challenge was to create a simple journal page that we didn't feel compelled to cover with journaling or other details.   This page started with a bit of gesso stenciled on.  The paint was scrubbed and stenciled on with leftovers from a book project.  I poured out a bit of Golden fluid acrylic for an illustration I painted and I couldn't waste those few precious drops!  That's when I started doodling the paint on the page using a pointed calligraphy nib.



This bit of ephemera happened to be on my art table.  It came from a fortune cookie.  Do something daring.  OK - I'll post this strange for me page from my journal.  And what else can I do?

I scanned the page and converted to black and white.   What if I made a digital brush?  So I did and look what happened next....



I've been all wrapped up in patterns and repetition which is what I think inspired the digital print I created.  Following are a couple Zentangles I drew.  Have you tried it yet?  It's fun and relaxing and very portable.


This is one of my favorites - probably because of the organic lines in it. 
If you have been a follower of the GPP Crusades, you know this is the last for now.  I had my page done several weeks ago, but haven't had an opportunity to post due to busy circumstances with family.  I'll always be grateful to Michelle Ward for all her generous tutorials and challenges from the past years.  You can still go back to see the crusades and do them on your own.  Go ahead.  I dare you!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that you couldn't bare to waste paint and it took you on this whole journey. I have enjoyed finding your blog via the Crusades, and thank you for being an inspiration with your Zentangles (sp?).

Marcie said...

What gorgeous line-work. Beautiful!

carol l mckenna said...

Lovely 'zen like' first creation ~ love the quote and your other sketches are awesome ~thanks, namaste, ^_^

Carolyn Dube said...

What a great crusade! Love how how you took your flourish and created a full page pattern! Such great Zentangles too!

michelle ward said...

Regina, I'm sorry for the circumstances you find yourself in and wish the best for your family. I'm happy to see you chime in for the last crusade. You've been such and avid supporter, and a kind and generous player. Love the restrained page...makes me think of a glorious jellyfish floating in sunlight water. Of course you'd take a 'brush' from that doodle - clever! Love the subtle colors behind your zentangle - that type of doodling reminds me of drwaing on my folders at school. I great way to stretch your mind as you invent pattern in the spaces. Bravo! Thanks for sharing AGAIN.

Tamster the Hamster said...

Awesome! So talented. Thanks for sharing!