Wednesday, January 20, 2010

From Frozen Fog to Ice Invasion

Last night the wind came and blew all the lovely frost from the trees and later a freezing rain pelted the landscape. Our neighbor's tree is sagging under the weight of ice. (Click on pictures to enlarge them.)

What a difference a couple of days makes. This is the ash tree in our front yard today. There is a creepy cracking noise coming from the ice coated branches.

This is the same tree on Saturday when everything was covered in a feathery frost after a freezing fog night.

The ice is destructive. Our neighbors lost a large section from a tree. Another neighbor's yard is littered with twigs. So far we don't have any visible damage, but there are a lot of sagging branches.

I thought this was an interesting shot using my Olympus FE-370. It's a great 8mp point & shoot that Hubby gave me for my birthday in Dec. 2008. I switched to the portrait setting and focused on the icicles hanging at the end of the rain gutter.


No treks out to the back yard are planned today! I took this shot through the dining room window.

You can see the brass stencil spelling HOPE on the window sill. It was my theme word for 2009 and since my Hope journal is not complete, I'm just going to go with the same word for now. My hope today is that Spring will not come late!

If you look closely, you will see that the icicles on the back bumper of this car formed at an angle! The wind has been quite stiff from the East-Southeast during this weather event.

There are even strange diagonal stripes of ice going along the side of the car!

I tried to open my car, but I couldn't get enough ice loose to open the door. I gave up before causing damage that I would regret!

Even though the ice is a nuisance, it has a beauty of its own.

7 comments:

Mona said...

Oh my .. these images remind me of the ice storm we had here in Quebec in '98. Your pictures are beautiful. Mona

heydave said...

More nice shots! I've got one that I took with my little cell phone camera; I'll have to send it your way.

Anonymous said...

Love the ice pictures my favorite would be the icicles from the rain gutter.

PJ said...

What a wonderful ice show! I know it can be harse though seeing your car and trees around. Hope no damage... Thanking for sharing such great pictures!

Unknown said...

How can something so cold be so beautiful? Or how can something so beautiful be so cold? Brrrr!

Live, Love, Laugh, Write! said...

I love all the beautiful pictures! And I hope you don't end up with too much damage.

Robin's Nesting Place said...

I think frozen fog is the most beautiful winter phenomenon. Ice is pretty but so very destructive!